Thursday, March 27, 2008

New Passports

After nearly 3 years of marriage I'm finally getting around to having my name changed in my passport. I never did it before because there wasn't time before moving to Germany, and that would mean getting all of my German paperwork all over again, but now that we're leaving, it's a good time to do it I think. Although, now my concern is that the Germans may not let me leave on a different passport! Really! I met a Canadian in my post-partum gymnastics class who got married since living in Germany and got her Canadian passport changed to her married name. When she tried to move back out of Germany, they gave her a really hard time about it when she tried to de-register (a requirement any time you move to even a new city within Germany - they love their pointless paperwork here!) and told her she was illegally in Germany now! Anyway, I'll take the chance.
Also thinking about getting Clara a British passport, as the new school in Hungary has been asking about it. It might be better so she'd have the same as me, plus it would make her visa paperwork for Hungary much simpler apparently and it wouldn't need to be renewed. Andras has been advised not to use his Hungarian passport when we move to Hungary as it might affect our tax-status, so I suppose getting Clara a Hungarian passport wouldn't make sense right now. Anyway, Andras needs to get his Hungarian passport changed as they spelled his name wrong in it! And to do that he has to first apply for a 'name change'. And to go that, he has to go in person to the Hungarian consulate in Berlin! (And back again to pick it up, and again to apply for the new passport, and again to pick that up!) He also needs a new Canadian passport as his current one expires before the end of our new work contract in Hungary, and for his visa he needs a passport that extends longer than the contract. What a lot of passport hassles!

On a happier note, here's a picture of our little sweetie-pie having a nice deep sleep in her stroller on a cold, wintery day in Dresden.

No comments:

Post a Comment